Pet Travel Scheme

Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)

The UK left the EU on December 31st 2020

We have been advised that the UK is now a Third country with Part 2 listed status.

This means that:

All UK issued Pet Passports will be invalid for travel to the EU

To travel to the EU pets will need to have a microchip and a Rabies vaccine at least 21 days prior to travel.

However due to the time involved and the wording of the form WE REQUIRE PETS TO HAVE A RABIES VACCINE AT LEAST 28 DAYS BEFORE TRAVEL.

You will need to bring your pet to the Vet within 10 days of travel to be issued with an Animal Health Certificate – this is valid for 10 days for travel to the EU and for 4 months for onward travel within the EU and re entry to the UK, and is nominated for a specific country of entry – we anticipate in most cases this will be France.


Please click here to fill in a checklist at least 48hrs  before your appointment

To bring a pet into the UK you will need one of the following documents:

The Animal Health Certificate (as above) issued in Great Britain used to travel to the EU (which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued)
OR A UK pet health certificate obtained from a Vet in the EU (for travel into the UK only)
OR An EU pet passport (issued in the EU or in the UK before 1 January 2021)

You will also need to :

Take your dog to a vet no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before entering Great Britain, for an approved tapeworm treatment. (this is the same as the current rules)

We are advising all owners to allow 3 working days for us to prepare the Animal Health Certificate after the visit to the Practice, as the new Certificate extends to 10 pages and is extremely time consuming to prepare

You will need a new Animal Health Certificate for each trip you make to the EU.

The most up to date information can be found on the website

Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)

Pet Travel Scheme

We can help advise you on PETS, so feel free to get in touch with us